looks Like an iceberg under water?

Many people do not pay attention to it, but the icebergs are amazingly beautiful natural objects. In essence they represent floating on the oceans and seas are huge pieces of ice that broke off from glaciers. From the curriculum we already know that people are only visible 10% of the surface of icebergs, and the remaining 90% of the surface of the ice floes are under water. Many people do not even imagine the look of the lower part of the floating pieces of glaciers, but thanks to the work of photographer Tobias Friedrich to look at this beauty now everyone can. To obtain rare footage of the man needed more than 5 years work definitely was worth it. One of the photos was highly appreciated by the judges of the annual Ocean Art competition.

About the history of rare photographs was described in the publication of the Wired. In 2012, the photographer went to an inlet of the sea Tasiilaq, located in the South-East of Greenland. Unfortunately, the traveler found himself in this picturesque area in August, when icebergs were actively swimming in the water. Of course, with such mobility of the ice he didn’t take the risk and sail under their multi-ton weight. To catch a moment when the water in the Bay was frozen and the icebergs did not move, he succeeded only in March 2019. It was then that he took hundreds of pictures of the lower parts of icebergs, similar to the “giant Golf balls”.

Rare photos of icebergs

So, returning to the frozen sea Tasiilaq, Tobias Friedrich and his assistant for two weeks traveled around the area on snowmobiles, in order to find the most beautiful iceberg. During this time they drilled in the ice, dozens of hole and dived under the most interesting blocks of ice. In particular, they did one hole on the ice to the entrance and two at the foot of icebergs to exit. The fact that they at any time could need an emergency ascent.

According to the photographer, the water temperature was only -3 degrees Celsius. Top photographer only saw the ice in the form of frozen clouds, and below — a dark abyss. To protect themselves from the cold, he slipped under the diving suit warm clothing, but his face remained open. Eventually his lips went numb after five minutes, but he tried not to think about killer frost, nor a thick ice cover preventing access to the surface.

Being under the iceberg you can’t make even the slightest error. You like floating on the water and admire the universe that is not like anything, — said Tobias Friedrich impressions.

Eventually he managed to make hundreds of photos, but they are not in the public domain. But the best shot was the jury’s favorite of the contest, the Ocean Art of 2019, in which is estimated the pictures of the underwater world. With the work of other photographers, by the way, can be found on the official website of the competition.

Advertisements