Airports contribute to the spread of infections, but how to stop it?

In 2018 Business Insider published an article in which it was mentioned that after using the toilet wash their hands only 70% of people. According to an employee of the University of Massachusetts of Christos Nicolaides (Nicolaides Christos), the remaining 30% of people simply forget about this important rule of hygiene. But at the moment, the purity of the hands is very important because of the sensational 2019 coronavirus-nCoV is actively spreading through human interaction. In a recent study, American scientists have found that if the passengers are more often washed their hands, the spread of disease would slow down almost twice. But how did they come to that conclusion?

The results of their study were published in the scientific journal Risk Analysis. During one of the scientific works conducted by the American society for Microbiology, it was foundthat only every fifth visitor to the airports carefully washes his hands, and the rest almost don’t even think about their health in public areas. And it would be worth, because in such places, thousands of people touch doors, railings and other surfaces, are full of a variety of microbes. After that, they fly thousands of miles to other countries and thus can spread dangerous infectious diseases.

How diseases spread?

Using computer modeling, Christos Nicolaides and his colleagues found that the increase in the number of people with clean hands in airports can significantly reduce the rate of spread of infectious diseases. They noted that providing people the opportunity at any time to wash hands with soap and water, you can reduce the probability of outbreak of a pandemic. The difference between these terms, incidentally, can be read in our special article.

According to the calculations of researchers, if the number of people with clean hands in airports increased from 20 to 30 percent, infectious diseases spread would be 24% slower. If the number of care of their hygiene of passengers increased to 60%, the probability of spreading dangerous diseases would be reduced by as much as 69%.

However, scientists admit that the equipment of the airports, additional toilets can cost big money. But they believe that to reduce the spread of infections even by improving the ten largest airports in the world. It is hoped that the discovery will encourage regulatory authorities to discuss the cleanliness of airports. Anyway, giving people the opportunity to wash your hands, you can stop the spread not only of existing infections, but also diseases that may occur in the future.