American lost his arms and legs after she licked the dog

Many of us have Petsthat we love and consider valuable members of the family. However, not many people know that our Pets can be carriers of deadly infectious diseases. They say that learning from others ‘ mistakes. Read about how an ordinary game with a dog led to the fact that a resident of Ohio lost their arms and legs in result has penetrated the body of a dangerous infection contained in the saliva of the animal.

The tragic story of a woman named Mary Trainer began shortly after she and her husband returned home from vacation in the Caribbean. She was rapidly deteriorating state of health. Because of the manifested symptoms, the couple initially thought the woman had contracted the flu. She had back pain, sudden changes in temperature, nausea. When Marie became very ill husband took her to the hospital. The doctors began aggressively treating her with medicines, but the woman’s condition was rapidly deteriorating with each passing hour. Moreover, on the face were all signs of sepsis – the total destruction of the body is somehow disease-causing microbes.

The doctors decided to put Marie in an artificial coma (a sleep medication) to slow the progression of the disease, and took blood tests. It turned out that her body is affected by the bacteria capnocytophaga. All the time while Marie was in a state of artificial coma the doctors fought for her life. The woman had black hands and feet that pointed to the development of gangrene (death of tissue).

Surgeons have performed several operations to remove the affected parts, but it didn’t help. As a result, doctors were forced to stop the spread of infection and to get rid of the gangrene, the only method is to amputate hands and feet. After ten days of drug-induced sleep the woman woke up with no limbs.

When he awoke in the hospital, I did not realize where they are. It was very hard to detect that they have removed my feet and hands. It’s hard to accept it, — said the woman in an interview with Fox 8.

As bacteria enter the body?


Capnocytophaga of bacteria under the microscope

Doctors believe that bacteria capnocytophaga ingested Marie from one of her dogs through a small scratch on the mistress ‘ hand during regular play with the animal. The portal, Science Alert, citing American scientists reports that these bacteria are found in the saliva of 74 percent of all dogs on Earth. They also contain the saliva of cats, but transmitted from them to man much less. While being in the body of the animal, they don’t create for him any harm.

Read also: In the United States will cease to sedate cats for the study of infection, which will cause half the world

Statistics say that cases of serious lesions of the body with bacteria capnocytophaga that lead to such consequences as Marie, in a medical practice revealed very little. About 50 percent of Americans in all my life at least once exposed to the bite of the dogs. But cases of infections with capnocytophaga doctors noted only a few dozen. For example, from 1972 to 2004 was reported only 54 such events.

As for global statistics, according to one study, since 1976 was recorded only 200 cases of animal bites, which as a result led to the defeat of infectious humans this bacteria. It is noted that often defeat these bacteria occurs in the elderly. The reason is that with age the efficiency of our immune system is compromised.

Also interesting: How immune cells learn to kill bacteria and viruses?

In addition, the elderly thickets of having a Pets. Among other factors that increase the risk of serious consequences from infection with bacteria called capnocytophaga diseases such as HIV and cancer. Also increase the risk of infection medications and substances (alcohol, Smoking), reduces the immune system.

How is the transmission and how to avoid it?

In the human body bacteria capnocytophaga enter through bites, cuts or scratches on the body and the mucous membranes of the eyes, nose and mouth. Once in the wound or mucous membrane, they cause it to redness, which you can not even notice. According to the Centers for control and prevention of diseases of the U.S. in General, further symptoms of the organism the bacterium of capnocytophaga look like flu symptoms: chills, vomiting, pain in muscles and joints, sudden changes in temperature, aches throughout the body. While they may not manifest itself immediately, but only after 1-14 days after the bacteria enters the body. In a further development of the infection can lead to even more serious consequences, up to fatal.

Since bacteria often enter through wounds in the hands and feet, and bites the doctors advise carefully to wash contact areas with soap and water. Kissing animals is also not the best idea, doctors say. When observing the deterioration of health due to symptoms above-mentioned symptoms doctors advise to immediately go to the hospital.